Leave a Legacy Minnesota is a public awareness program sponsored by the Minnesota Planned Giving Council (MPGC) and the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning designed to inspire and educate people to think beyond their lifespan when doing good works.
Leave a Legacy Minnesota partners with all types of nonprofit groups, including social service and arts organizations, churches, hospitals and educational institutions. These partnerships help promote the message that people from all walks of like can make a large difference in their community through charitable bequests no matter how large or small. Imagine how much good could be done if each one of us remembered a favorite charity or cause in our will or estate plan? The impact for Minnesota would be immeasurable!
“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” – Mother Teresa
Leave a Legacy Minnesota is a collaborative effort among non-profit organizations, estate and financial planning professionals, and the media to promote gifts to charities through wills and estate plans. The program encourages people of all ages and backgrounds to make gifts to the non-profit organizations of their choice.
The Minnesota program is made up of community based organizations including human service agencies, churches, educational institutions, hospitals, arts organizations, and professional advisors such as attorneys, accountants, financial planners, insurance agents and many more.
The initiative originated in Columbus, Ohio in 1994 and is uniting more than 150 communities throughout the U.S. and Canada to promote awareness of the importance of remembering special causes.
Christopher Burns, Henson & Efron, email@example.com
Kim Embretson, West Central Initiative, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dayton Hultgren, email@example.com
Kris Kewitsch, Charities Review Council, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michela Charleston, MN Council of Nonprofits, email@example.com
Jon Pratt, MN Council of Nonprofits, firstname.lastname@example.org
Katrina Pierson, HBH Consultants, email@example.com
Margaret Derksen, Mayo Clinic Health System, Derksen.Margaret@mayo.edu
Grant Wacker, Wells Fargo Bank, firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Legacy Committee Charter
- Operate a state-wide public awareness raising program to educate donors, allied professionals and organizations about planned giving
- Maintain affiliation with the Leave a Legacy program of the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning.
- Through electronic media and periodic conference calls, support Leave a Legacy groups throughout the state, and grow their number.
- Work with other committees of MPGC to bring the benefits of membership and programming to Leave a Legacy groups throughout the state.
- The purpose of the LAL-MN program is to educate the general public and organizations about the importance of making a planned gift and the impact these gifts have in supporting the mission and vision of their favorite charities, institutions and causes, for today and into the future.
- LAL-MN acts as a collaborative and educational resource for non-profit organizations and professional advisors. The collaboration is a cooperative effort to educate the community, general public and clients to promote the idea of planned giving.
- The vision of LAL-MN is to act as the central hub of communication and provider of resources related to planned giving throughout the state of Minnesota. In addition, LAL-MN will act in cooperation with PPP as a key influencer and educator to promote charitable gift giving among people of all ages and financial capacities.
- The values of the program are:
- Competence and Professionalism
- Respect for existing autonomous LAL-MN regional groups, members, and communities throughout the state of Minnesota
- Sustainability and commitment through outstanding organization, recruitment and retention of members. To act as a comprehensive resource, providing up-to-date educational materials and assets to promote and encourage public awareness of planned giving.
Legacy Gift: Why?
Legacy Gift: How?
Join the Community
Share Your Story
MN Regional Groups
Partner with Us